News & Updates
Weekly Briefs for the Week of August 20, 2012
- Local Policies and Practices That Support Safe Pedestrian Environments – This report documents various tools and strategies used by municipalities to improve the safety, convenience, and accessibility of the pedestrian experience.
- Thinking Outside the Farebox: Creative Approaches to Financing Transit Projects – This guidebook is designed to help community leaders get from the desire to meet the demand for transit to raising the money needed to build and operate it.
- Cost Benefit Analysis of Roll Stability Control Versus Electronic Stability Control Using Empirical Crash Data (Request required) – This report quantifies the role of roll stability control and electronic stability control in crash reduction relative to the cost of each system using operational crash data.
- Improved services for customers (registration required) – This report discusses the importance and benefits of a customer oriented organization to road administrations, examines several methods involving customers through case studies and provides recommendations for road administrations.
- Using Smartphones to Collect Bicycle Travel Data in Texas – This study uses an existing smartphone application, CycleTracks, to collect bicycle travel data and gather information about the bicyclist and the purpose of the trip. Recommendations are provided for communities looking to utilize smartphone applications for data collection.
- Miscellaneous Reports
- Disaster Resilience: A National Imperative (registration required) – This report defines “national resilience” and frames the main issues related to increasing resilience in the United States; provides goals, baseline conditions, or performance metrics for national resilience; describes the state of knowledge about resilience to hazards and disasters; outlines additional information, data, gaps, and/or obstacles that need to be addressed to increase the nation’s resilience to disasters; and provides recommendations about the necessary approaches to elevate national resilience to disasters in the United States.
- U.S. Energy-Related Carbon Dioxide Emissions, 2011 – This analysis examines energy-related carbon dioxide emissions in 2011.
- School Bus Safety – This report provides an overview of information regarding school bus safety and analyzes state action on a variety of different issues, including seatbelts, cellular phone use, driver licensing and illegally passing school buses.