News & Updates
Weekly Briefs for the Week of August 6, 2012
- Transportation Energy Data Book – This data book is an assembly and display of statistics and information that characterize transportation activity, and presents data on other factors that influence transportation energy use.
- Estimating the Effects of Pavement Condition on Vehicle Operating Costs – This report presents models for estimating the effects of pavement condition on vehicle operating costs. These models address fuel consumption, tire wear, and repair and maintenance costs and are presented as computational software on the accompanying CD-ROM to facilitate use.
- Research Pays Off: Safety Effectiveness of the HAWK or Pedestrian Hybrid Beacon – This brief summarizes the results of a research to evaluate the safety effectiveness of the HAWK device. This study shows that the HAWK beacons provide significant reductions in total crashes and in crashes involving pedestrians.
- Communities Putting Prevention to Work: Advancing Safe Routes to School at the County Level – This study highlights community efforts in implementing environmental changes to make healthy living easier through the Communities Putting Prevention to Work initiative. Five communities with the Safe Routes to School program are highlighted and lessons learned are discussed.
- Road to Nowhere: Federal Transportation Infrastructure Policy – This report provides a critical assessment of federal transportation policy and analyzes what’s needed to get U.S. transportation infrastructure back on track.
- Miscellaneous Reports
- High-speed rail with emerging automobiles and aircraft can reduce environmental impacts in California’s future – This research sets to develop a framework for assessing the environmental effects of long-distance transportation in the California corridor to provide more comprehensive measures of the greenhouse gas, human health and other environmental damage potentials of future systems.
- Land Use and Traffic Congestion – The study investigates the link between land use, travel behavior, and traffic congestion.
- Financial Planning at the MPO Level – This peer exchange provides an overview of existing financial plans at MPOs and the approaches used for their development; explores examples of best practices in financial planning; discusses issues most challenging in developing financial plans; and reviews experience working within parameters of Federal regulations relating to fiscal constraint and conformity.
- 2011 Vehicle Technologies Market Report – This report discusses the role of transportation energy and vehicle markets on a national scale; examines Light-Duty Vehicle use, markets, manufacture, and supply chains; discusses truck sales and fuel uses of Medium and Heavy Trucks, and explains recent, current, and near-future federal policies like the Cash for Clunkers program and the Corporate Average Fuel Economy standard.